Monday, December 15, 2008

Print Series Statement

My collage print series started with the words:

mesozoic
mother
book
blizzard
smitten

Creating the first print was the most difficult task for the fact that I was taking the words too literally. Once I got past seeing each word as just a noun or an adjective, I was able to associate colors, moods, textures and places with each item.
Applying various hand-made collages to Photoshop, I combined many aspects of at least 10 collages into the three large prints.
Color became a major component in tying the three works together as a series. I have always been interested in compositions that possess multiple textured layers as well as opaque, bright, and saturated colors. Text, handwritten and found are also implemented within all prints.
I believe this project was helpful and beneficial to me in understanding my process of collage on and off of the computer. The size restriction to this assignment also challenged me, and acted as a jump start to assessing and constructing large format hand-made collage.

No comments: